Thursday, April 16, 2015

Review of "London, Paris, New York"


Let me start this review by saying I loved this one! So, it is a positive review.

I generally watch the downloaded Bollywood movies over a span of about 10 minutes. I just drag the arrow of the video player from one end to the other. Whatever I catch a glimpse of during that is generally more than enough to understand the plot and forget it forever.

My expectations were pretty much on the same level from Anuradha Menon's "London, Paris, New York" as well when I started watching it in the cab on the way back from office. However the movie turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me.

The plot line is simple, but told powerfully and is surprisingly not predictable. I found myself wondering whether it would have a tragedy ending. It's a coming off age movie with a good enough touch of reality. The movie traces the relationship of a girl and a guy who have a chance meeting in London and part ways. The intense attraction they feel only grows over the years even though their subsequent meetings are years apart. The turns their relationship takes and its subsequent culmination is the main story line.

Coming off age movies are a rage right now and this one has been compared to Wake Up Sid and Love Aaj Kal. The difference though, is quite apparent to anybody who cares to follow the plot. While the other two are about the thin line between friendship and love and not being able to determine whether these feelings are genuine and lasting, in LPNY, the attraction between the boy and the girl is quite apparent and out in the open from their very first meeting. There are no doubts here. No one is trying to hide their feelings. They are, in fact, quite vocal about them. What happens to the couple is a very natural angst arising out of the physical distance between them and differences in male and female perspectives.


I liked the gradual change in persona each phase of life introduces in the protagonists. For example, they start out with simple T-Shirts in London and graduate to chic clothes in Paris to grown-up styling in New York.

The film has only two characters, although it doesn't get tiresome at any point. Aditi Rao Haidari is too cute. I thought this over-cuteness might come in the way of her acting, but surprisingly it doesn't. She is quite perfect in her character as an innocent girl who slowly matures into a grown woman. I never found Ali Zafar handsome, but this movie changed my mind. I decided to look out for him. My only qualm is he sounds like a quawalli singer even when completely unnecessary. The music and background score is pleasant. Loved the song "Ye Ek Phase Hai". I have decided to save this movie and watch it again when a mood lift is necessary.

Movie: London, Paris, New York
Rating: 4/5
Director: Anuradha Menon
Actors: Ali Zafar, Aditi Rao Haidari
Music: Ali Zafar

No comments:

Post a Comment