Sunday, June 28, 2009

Who Am I ??!!!

Who am I ? I was hoping you could help me shed some light on that. I will give you all the details though. When I started thinking about the subject my mind kept coming back to the contradictions my life is full of. I am going to share some of them with you in my speech.
I was born, brought up and studied in a small town called Shivamogga in Karnataka but ended working in the state capital. In truth I would prefer the peaceful life of a small place like Shimoga which is my hometown anyday, to the crowd and bustle of Bangalore.
Our next door neighbour in Shimoga was a Karnatic classical music teacher who practically rasied me. So I could sing SaReGaMa before I could walk.
I have a brother who is also happens to be my closest friend but his friends prefer me to him most of the time for some reason.I was one of the most studious pupils as long as I was in school but as soon as I stepped into college my name started popping up reagularly in the attendance shortage lists somehow. I mean, I went to college regularly. But the journey from the corridor to the classroom used to be really hard. There used to be so many distractions around the tea at the canteen being one of the foremost. We practically thrived on those one-by-two teas for those four years.
Coming to the present I work in Whitefield and live in Rajajinagar. From a Bangalore map’s perspective it is almost poles apart.
In my house, my room consists on the one side a big book shelf and on the other side my teddy big brownie bear Which I got for my 25th birthday like 10 days ago.
My book shelf contains on the one end the complete works of the great Kannada authors like Kuvemopu and Shivaram Karanth and on the other end English literature ranging from The God of Small Things by Arundati Roy, The Snow by Orhan Pamuck, the Portrait of a Lady by Henry James and on the other end Jackei Collins Snatangelo novels. Trust me I dint know what kind of author she was before I bought these books.
In the past year I have spent almost all the weekends roaming with different gangs of friends around South India. But my idea of a perfect weekend would be to just laze around at home, wake up at 1, Pm I mean, have self made Maggie for lunch, watch one or two episodes of friends and then go back to sleep.
Even my beliefs are full of contradictions. On the one hand I don’t believe in any traditional rituals. When I was younger I wouldn’t even step into a temple because I dint believe in God. But now I keep a fast once a month. I just perform all the poojas to satisfy my mom. On the other hand I am an ardent believer in sunsigns. Yes the zodiac signs. Just the character study part though. Not the astrology.
My favorite movies are Steven Spielberg’s Amistad, Satyajeet Ray’s Charulatha ( It’s a wonderful Benagli movie by the way). At the same time I really enjoyed sing is King and Bachna ye Haseeno. I like all of Akshay Kumar’s stupid comedies for that matter. They help me unwind after tough stressful days.
My favourite vehicle is still the good old cute and compact Scooty (the first love) although I can drive a Chevorelt Spark as good as any.
My favourite music ranges from Purandaradaasa’s Keerthanas, Bheemsen Joshi’s alaaps and Pandit Ravishankar’s sitar to Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean, Guns and Roses’ Sweet Child of Mine and Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit.
I can talk for straight two hours to a complete stranger still I truly express myself only in front of really few people. Even with them, although I share my problems and listen to their opinions and advice I finally end up doing what I had decided on doing from the beginning. I am very bad at taking advice.
I guess, at the end what I am trying to say is, I am not sure who I am. It usually takes people a lifetime to understand truly who they are. Even I am one of those ordinary people without any epiphanies or enlightenments who is in the process of understanding myself. It might take another 25 years for me to truly understand myself. But I am sure its going to be an exciting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment