Monday, May 20, 2013

Choice

Do we really have a Choice or do we have a perception of a Choice?

I guess to answer the question, I need to define “you”…
If I define “me” as a sum total of my genes, my environment and my experiences, would that be enough?
I don’t think so!
I think I am missing a huge component…
That is me, my essence!
I did not choose that… I was born with that….
In fact I did not choose any part of me…. I was given this package…. And asked to work with it..
I don’t know my future… I can’t change my past… So what Choice do I really have?
The way I react to any situation – do I really choose that or is it a consequence of the package I was given?

In Bhagavadgita, Krishna says he is everyone… But he also says my purpose is just to perform my duty…
It’s his work to decide what I get for it in return…
So is it him doing the work or is it me?

Is this world created as a consequence of some dispassionate event and running on the rules created as a result of this event?
Or is it being run by a puppetmaster: some alien-being or the Matrix may be?

What part of my actions do I choose? I did not choose the opportunity to perform those actions and I did not choose the tools to perform those actions with…
So am I really choosing just the action? Seems preposterous to think that way…

Irrespective of what I may like to think, I cannot choose my beliefs….
I just believe… and act accordingly…

So I return to my original question: Do I really have a Choice or the perception of a Choice?
I am willing to accept both the options…..
It is extremely reassuring to think that I can choose the course of events of my life…
On the other hand, it is extremely relieving to think that I don’t have any real Choice anyway…

So win-win for me J

No comments:

Post a Comment